USEFUL/INTERESTING COMMENTARIES ON PUBLISHING SCIENTIFIC FINDINGS
THIS article from Infection and Immunity (INFECTION AND IMMUNITY, Dec. 2010, p. 4972–4975) discusses the predictability of scientific experiments and the underappreciated importance of confirmatory experiments.
How to assess the importance of a scientific finding:
THIS editorial from Infection and Immunity (INFECTION AND IMMUNITY, Oct. 2009, p. 4177–4180) is an interesting read on how to assess the importance of a scientific finding - SPIN: Sizable, Practical, Integrated, New
The impact factor - is it all its cracked up to be?
IF = Impact Factor. For a good read on IF Mania and how much significance should be placed on the IF check out THIS and THIS editorial, respectively, in mbio
The all too common rejection letter:
THIS about sums up my experience with publishing, but sometimes we get lucky.... You will find a list of published papers below from those instances when our research has been deemed worthy.
Authorship Policy: In our research group authorship acknowledges significant contributions to at least 2 of the 5 elements of a research publication, being 1) conception 2) design 3) execution 4) analysis 5) reporting.
- Huang, Y., W. Ren, J. Grove, H. Poffenbarger, K. Jacobsen, B. Tao, X. Zhu, D. McNear. In press. Assessing synergistic effects of no-tillage and cover crops on soil carbon dynamics in a long-term maize cropping system under climate change. Agriculture and Forest Meterology. (IF = 4.46)
- Xiufen, L., F. Dou¥, J. Guo, M. Valdez Velarca, K. Chen, T. Gentry, and D.H. McNear Jr. Soil Microbial Community Responses to Nitrogen Source and Rate at Different Stages of Rice (Oryza Sativa L.) Cultivation accepted @ SSSAJ (IF = 2.31)
- McGrail, R.K., D.A. VanSanford, and D.H. McNear Jr. 2020. Trait-based root phenotyping as a necessary tool fro crop selection and improvement. Agronomy, 10:1328. (IF=2.6)
- Lewis, R. W., Bertsch, P. M., McNear, D. H. 2019. Nanotoxicity of Engineered Nanomaterials (ENMs) to Environmentally Relevant Beneficial Soil Bacteria: A Critical Review, Oxfordshire: Nanotoxicology, (IF=4.92)
- Calvo, P. S. Zebelo, D. McNear, J. Kloepper, and H. Fadamiro. 2019. Plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria induce changes in Arabadopsis thaliana expression of nitrate and ammonium uptake genes. J. Plant Interactions, 14(1). (IF = 1.84)
- Morris, J. W., K.G. Schekel, and D. H. McNear. 2018. Biogeochemistry of Nickel in Soils, Plants and the Rhizosphere. In. Nickel in Soils and Plants. Editors: Tsadilas, C., J. Rinklebe, and Magdi Selim. Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton.
- Guo, H., Xin, Z., Rosskopf, E. N., DiGioia, F., Hong, J. C., McNear, D. H. 2018. Impacts of anaerobic soil disinfestation and chemical fumigation on soil microbial communities in field tomato production system. Applied Soil Ecology, 126:165-173 (IF= 2.92). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2017.12.018
- Lewis, R.W., J. Unrine, P.M. Bertsch, and D.H. McNear. 2017. Silver engineered nanomaterials and ions elicit species-specific O2 consumption responses in plant growth promoting rhizobacteria. Biointerphases doi: 10.1116/1.4995605 (IF = 2.0)
- Chen, C., O.V. Tsyusko, D.H. McNear Jr., J. Judy, R.W. Lewis, J.M. Unrine. 2017. Effects of biosolids from a wastewater treatment plant receiving manufactured nanomaterials on Medicago truncatula and associated soil microbial communities at ow nanomaterial concentrations. Sci. Tot. Envrion. 609:799-806
- Guo, J., R.L. McCulley, T. Phillips, and D.H. McNear Jr. 2016. Fungal endophyte and tall fescue cultivar interact to differentially effect bulk and rhizosphere soil processes governing C and N cycling. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 101:165-174 (IF=4.41)
- Judy,J.D., J.K. Kirby, M.J. McLaughlin, D.H. McNear, and P.M. Bertsch Symbiosis between nitrogen-fixing bacteria and Medicago truncatula is not significantly affected by silver and silver sulfide nanomaterials. Environmental Pollution 214, 731-736 (IF=4.14)
- Rojas, X., J.W. Leff, D.H. McNear Jr., and R.L. McCulley. 2016. Infection with a shoot-specific fungal endophyte (Epichloë) alters tall fescue rhizosphere microbial communities. Microbial Ecology. 72(1):197-206 DOI 10.1007/s00248-016-0750-8 (IF=2.97)
- Ding, N., H. Guo, J.V. Kupper and D.H. McNear Jr. 2016. Shoot specific fungal endophytes alter soil phosphorus (P) fractions and potential acid phophotase activity but do not increase P uptake in tall fescue. Plant and Soil, 401(1):291-305 (IF=2.64)
- Judy, J., D.H. McNear Jr., C. Chen, R.W. Lewis,, O.V. Tsyusko, P.M. Bertsch, W. Rao, J. Stegemeier, G.V. Lowry, S.P. McGrath, M. Durenkamp and J.M. Unrine. 2015. Nanomaterials in biosolids inhibit nodulation, shift microbial community composition, and result in increased metal uptake relative to bulk/dissolved metals. Environ. Sci. Technol. 49 (14), pp 8751–8758 (IF=5.48)
- Chen, C., J.M. Unrine, J.D. Judy, R.W. Lewis, J. Guo, D.H. McNear Jr., and O.V. Tsyusko. 2015. Toxicogenomic responses of the model legume Medicago truncatula to aged biosolids containing a mixture of nanomaterials (TiO2, Ag and ZnO) from a pilot wastewater treatment plant. Environ. Sci. Technol. 49 (14), pp 8759–8768 (IF=5.48)
- Ding, N., K. Kupper, and D.H. McNear Jr. 2015. Phosphate source interacts with endophyte Strain to influence biomass and root system architecture in tall fescue. Agronomy Journal. 107(2)662-670. (IF= 1.6)
- Guo J., R.L. McCulley, and D.H. McNear Jr. 2015. Tall fescue cultivar and fungal endophyte combinations influence plant growth and root exudate composition. Front. Plant Sci. 6:183. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2015.00183 (IF=3.6)
- Pradas del Real, A.E., A. Pérez-Sanz, M.C. Lobo, and D.H. McNear Jr. 2014. The Chromium Detoxification Pathway in the Multi-metal Accumulator Silene vulgaris. Environmental Science and Technology. 48(19) pp 11479-11486 (IF=5.481)
- Szoboszlay, M., J. Lambers, J. Chappell, J.V. Kupper, L. Moe, and D.H. McNear Jr. 2014. Comparison of root system architecture and rhizosphere microbial communties of Balsas teosinte and domesticated corn cultivars. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 80:34-44 (IF=4.41)
- Ali, M.B. and D.H. McNear Jr. 2014. Induced transcriptional profiling of phenylpropanoid pathway genes increases flavonoid and lignin content in Arabadopsis in response to microbial products. BMC Plant Biology 14:84 (IF=4.56)
- McNear Jr., D.H. and J.V. Kupper. 2014. Mechanisms of trichome-specific Mn accumulation and toxicity in the Ni hyperaccumulator Alyssum murale. Plant and Soil. 377(1-2) pp 407-422 (IF=2.638)
- McNear Jr., D. H. 2013. The Rhizosphere — Roots, Soil and Everything In Between. Nature Education Knowledge 4(3):1
- Zhao, J., D.H. McNear Jr. and X. Xiong. 2013. Changes in Structural Characteristics of Antioxidative Soy Protein Hydrolysates Resulting from Scavenging of Hydroxyl Radicals. J.Food Sci. 78(2):C152-159 (IF=1.73)
- Lewis, R.L.*, G. Tang and D.H. McNear Jr. 2012. Morphological and Genetic Changes Induced by Excess Zn in Roots of Medicago truncatula A17 and a Zn Accumulating Mutant. BMC Research Notes. 5:675 (IF = 1.25)
- McNear Jr., D.H., S. Afton, and J. Caruso. 2011. Exploring the structural basis for selenium/mercury antagonism in allium fistulosum. Metallomics. 4:267-276 (IF=3.902)
- McNear, Jr., D.H. and R.L. McCulley. 2011. Influence of the Neotyphodium – tall fescue symbiosis on belowground processes. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Fungal Endophytes of Grasses, Noble Foundation, Ardmore, OK.
- Schwer III, D.R.* and D.H. McNear Jr. 2011. Chromated copper arsenate treated fence posts in the agronomic landscape: soil properties controllng arsenic speciation and spatial distribution. J. Environ. Qual. 40(4):1172-1181. (IF=2.33)
- Shoults-Wilson, A., O.I. Zurbich, D.H. McNear Jr., O.V. Tsyusko, P.M. Bertsch and J. Unrine. 2011. Evidence for avoidance of Ag nanoparticles by earthworms (Eisenia fetida). Ecotoxicology. 20:385-396 (IF= 3.05)
- Lewis, R.L.,* V. Mendu, D.H. McNear and G. Tang. 2011. Role of micro-RNA’s in plant abiotic stress. in Molecular techniques for crop improvement, 2nd ed. Eds. S. Mohan Jain and D.S. Brar. Springer, Cambridge, MA.
- McNear, D.H., R.L. Chaney and D.L. Sparks. 2010. The hyperaccumulator Alyssum murale uses complexation with nitrogen and oxygen donor ligands for Ni transport and storage. Phytochemistry 71: 188-200. (IF = 3.351)
- McNear, D.H., R.L. Chaney and D.L. Sparks. 2007. The effects of soil type and chemical treatment on nickel speciation in refinery enriched soils: a multi-technique investigation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 71(9) 2190-2208. (IF=4.429)
- McNear, D.H., R. Tappero and D.L. Sparks. 2006. Synchrotron based tomographic methods for determining metal compartmentalization and concentration in plant tissues. p. 204-205. In. Luster, J. and Finlay, R. Ed. COST 631 Handbook of methods in rhizosphere research. Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL, Birmendsdorf.
- Tappero, R., D.H. McNear and D.L. Sparks. 2006. Synchrotron micro x-ray fluorescence mapping and absorption edge spectroscopies for determining metal speciation in plant tissues. p. 209-210. In. Luster, J. and Finlay, R. Ed. COST 631 Handbook of methods in rhizosphere research. Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL, Birmendsdorf.
- Everhart, J.L., D.H. McNear, E. Peltier, D. VanderLelie, R.L. Chaney and D.L. Sparks. 2006. Assesing nickel bioavailability in smelter-contaminated soils. Science of the Total Environment, 367:732-744. (IF=3.286)
- McNear, D.H., E. Peltier, J. Everhart, R.L. Chaney, S. Sutton, M. Newville, M. Rivers, and D.L. Sparks. 2005. Applicaiton of quantitiatve fluorescence and absorption-edge computed microtomography to image metal compartmentalization in Alyssum murale.Environ. Sci. Technol. 2005, 39:2210-2218. (IF= 5.228)
- McNear, D.H., R. Tappero and D.L. Sparks. 2005. Shining light on metals in the environment. Elements, 1, 211-216. (IF=3.85)